Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This is just the perfect little bite for baby showers, lady’s luncheons, or any other spring gathering. Shrimp is so delicate and slightly sweet in flavor – and we know it pairs beautifully with lemon, but I’ve found that the floral notes of lavender pair with it just as well! It gives the shrimp a light and bright flavor that feels perfect for the beginning of spring. And with crisp cucumber and fresh mint, it’s really refreshing, too.
Why endive instead of a crostini? I’ve always preferred to use endive as a vehicle for appetizers like this. It’s a great gluten-free option for people with dietary restrictions, and it offers such a crisp little bite that other lettuces and crostini just can’t deliver.
Shrimp and Citrus Endive Cups with Lavender
For the Shrimp:
- 1 pound medium shrimp peeled, deveined, and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender chopped or ground
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Persian cucumber peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoons lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon orange zest from 1/2 orange
- 2 oranges navel or cara cara, segmented
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 heads endive white, red or a combination, leaves separated
- This recipe originated on an episode of Giada Entertains. Episode: Baby Shower Brunch.
- To a medium bowl add the shrimp, lavender, and salt. Toss well to combine. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the olive and the seasoned shrimp and cook, undisturbed for 2 minutes. Flip the shrimp and cook another 2 minutes on the other side or until the shrimp is opaque and cooked through.
- To a separate medium bowl add the chopped cucumber, lemon zest, lemon juice, orange zest, orange segments, mint and kosher salt. Toss well to combine. Add the hot shrimp to the bowl with the citrus. Toss well to combine.
- Lay the endive leaves out on a platter. Spoon the shrimp mixture into the leaves placing approximately 2 shrimp in each cup. Spoon any juices over the top and serve.