Gnocchi Alla Sorrentina
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 28 ounce can whole san Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 medium carrot peeled and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 small red onion (peeled and halved)
- 2 stems basil
- 3 ounces parmesan rind
3 tablespoon olive oil (plus 1 tablespoon for the dish)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 17.5 ounce package prepared gnocchi
- 1 cup 35 grams freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup 88 grams shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a nonreactive dutch oven combine the tomatoes, carrot, onion, basil, parmesan rind and olive oil. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low maintain a gentle simmer. Simmer, stirring often with a wooden spoon for 40 to 45 minutes or until slightly reduced and the carrot is beginning to become tender. You should have about just about 2 1/4 cups of sauce. Season with the salt. Remove and discard all of the vegetables, herbs and rind from the sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease an 8 inch baking dish with the remaining tablespoon olive oil.
- Add the gnocchi and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese to the sauce. Stir well to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top with the mozzarella and the remaining parmesan. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the cheese is browned and the sauce is bubbly. Allow the gnocchi to cool for 10 minutes before serving.