Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Roasted strawberries with mascarpone whipped cream is a fabulous, brightly-flavored dessert that feels like Italy in every bite. I roast strawberries with some sugar, olive oil and Vin Santo – a dessert wine that’s traditional to Tuscany, Italy. However, if you can’t get your hands on Vin Santo, I find that this recipe still works when using a dessert wine or sherry. Topped with a silky-smooth mascarpone whipped cream, and crumbled almond biscotti or amaretti, it’s a really romantic dessert that feels incredibly special – and a perfect finish to almost any meal.
Roasted Strawberries with Mascarpone Whipped Cream
For The Strawberries:
- 1 pound strawberries hulled and halved
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/4 cup vin santo wine
For The Mascarpone Whipped Cream:
- 1/4 cup mascarpone
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup gently crushed Amaretti cookies or almond biscotti
- This recipe originated on an episode of Giada Entertains. Episode: Giada’s Dinner Cruise.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lined a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To the prepared tray add the berries, sugar olive oil and salt. Toss well to coat evenly and spread on the tray. Roast for 30 minutes or until soft and the berries have release some of their juices. Pour the berries and the juices into a bowl and toss with the vin santo. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the mascarpone with the heavy cream and sugar until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- To serve, divide the berries in small serving cups or coups. Dollop with the cream and sprinkle with some of the cookie crumble.