Agrodolce means sour (agro) and sweet (dolce) in Italian, so these juicy pork chops are glazed in an easy sweet and sour sauce. The key to thickening the sauce is cold butter, so make sure your butter is chilled and not room temp.
Pork Chop Agrodolce
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 3 tablespoons honey such as acacia
- 3 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 4 bone in center cut pork loin chops about 12 ounces each
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- As seen on: Giada In Italy, Episode 3. My Brother Would Love This.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the balsamic, garlic cloves and thyme sprigs. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the honey and simmer another 3 to 4 minutes or until the mixture has thickened slightly. Stir in the butter and set aside.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium high heat.
- Season the pork chops evenly on both sides with the salt and pepper. Drizzle with the olive oil and place on the hot grill pan. Grill for 5 minutes on the first side or until nicely browned. Flip the chops and grill for an additional 5 minutes on the second side. Baste the chops with some of the sauce and continue to baste and flip for an additional 5 minutes or until the outside of the meat is caramelized and slightly charred and the meat registers 150 degrees F on an instant read thermometer. Remove the chops to a platter and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Serve drizzled with the remaining sauce. SaveSave