This panini doesn’t call for too many ingredients, but each one packs a big punch of flavor. This is one of my favorite combinations, especially for fall: ham, gruyere cheese, apples and a great quality mustard. It hits every note of salty, sweet, savory and tart. The thyme brings everything together in a really lovely way.
If you don’t have a panini press, simply use a grill pan or cast iron, and use a spatula or a plate to press it down while cooking!
Ham, Gruyere And Apple Panini
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 8 1/2-inch thick slices country-style white bread
- 1/3 cup Dario Cecchini Tuscan Mustard, or whole grain mustard
- 2 cups 8 ounces shredded Gruyere
- 8 slices 8-ounces Black Forest ham
- In a 12-inch skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the apple slices and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are slightly soft, about 4 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Preheat a panini press. Spread each bread slice with 1 tablespoon mustard. Arrange 1/4 cup of cheese on each of 4 bread slices and top with 2 slices of ham. Divide the apple mixture evenly on top of the ham. Add the remaining cheese and cover with the remaining 4 bread slices. Grill in the panini press until the cheese has melted and the tops are golden and crispy, about 5 to 6 minutes.