Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
No special equipment needed for these molten chocolate cakes – just your good old muffin pan!
Easy Chocolate Lava Cakes
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted softened butter, plus extra for buttering molds
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour plus more for dusting molds
- 1 tablespoon Frangelico or hazelnut liqueur optional
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- Fresh mint for garnish
- Butter and lightly flour 12 muffin cups. Tap out any excess flour.
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a boil. In a large glass bowl, add butter, chocolate, espresso powder and salt. Lower heat and place bowl over the simmering water. Slowly whisk mixture until the chocolate is almost completely melted. Remove bowl from heat and continue to whisk until all chocolate has melted. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, add eggs, yolks, and sugar. Using an electric mixer, beat until light and fluffy and pale in color, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low and slowly pour in the chocolate mixture. Turn off the mixer and add the flour. Fold with a rubber spatula until just combined. Do not overwork the batter.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Divide the batter between the cups. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place chocolate molds onto baking sheet and place in oven for 8 to 9 minutes. The top and sides should be cooked and dry and the inside will be runny.
- Using oven mitts, place the parchment lined tray on top of the muffin tin and carefully invert the tray. Let it sit for 10 seconds. Slowly lift 1 corner of the muffin tin and the cakes should slip out easliy. Sprinkle about 1/4 teaspoon Frangelico over each cake. Place each cake on a dessert plate and spoon berries around the chocolate cake. Garnish with mint. Serve warm.