Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This recipe is a win win – half banana bread, half brownie, no dairy, no gluten, and barely any sugar. These banana bread brownies are just as tasty for dessert as they are for a midday snack… and with oats, bananas, almond flour and almond butter, they’re even virtuous enough to eat for breakfast! Plus, I think these are even better the next day, or after hanging out in the fridge (covered!) for a few days.
Banana Bread Brownies
- 3 bananas very ripe
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup quick oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Oil an 8x8 inch pan with coconut oil and line with one strip of parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, use a fork to mash together the bananas, almond butter, coconut oil, almond milk, sugar and salt until almost smooth and just a few lumps remain. Add the almond flour, rolled oats and baking powder. Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the wet until combined. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. To the remaining batter add the cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Pour the chocolate mixture on top of the plain batter and spread gently. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until just set. Allow to cool completely in the pan before cutting into squares to serve.