Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
For a fun appetizer on St. Patrick’s day, I love this spread in place of a cheese platter. With Irish smoked salmon, pumpernickel bread, and creamy cucumbers to tie it all together, I find that it’s a delicious nod to Irish culture… and a fabulous starter to any festive St. Patrick’s day meal! It’s a lot of fun to offer up something like this to company, where everyone can feel free to serve themselves up family-style.
Better yet, this requires such minimal prepwork. All you really need to do is mix up the creamy cucumbers, and lay out the salmon and bread the way you like it. Easy!
Smoked Salmon and Creamy Cucumber Plate
- 1 english cucumber
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 8 ounces smoked Irish salmon
- Toasted pumpernickel bread
- This recipe originated on an episode of Giada Entertains. Episode: Go Green or Go Home.
- Thinly slice the cucumber on a mandolin and place in a colander over a bowl. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and allow the cucumbers to sit for 5 minutes. Squeeze out the excess water and place the cucumbers in a clean medium bowl. Add the sour cream, remaining salt and dill and stir with a rubber spatula to combine.
- Lay the smoked salmon on half of a platter lightly so there is movement to the plate, leaving an open the other half of the platter. Pile the cucumber mixture on a quarter of the plate so spoon into a bowl that fits on the plate. Serve the toasted pumpernickel bread on the other quarter of the platter.