Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Italian wedding soup is a traditional soup that’s so good, there’s no need to save it for special occasions!
Italian Wedding Soup
For the Meatballs:
- 1 small onion grated
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 slice fresh white bread crust trimmed, bread torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Soup:
- 12 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound curly endive coarsely chopped (1 pound of escarole would be a good substitution)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan plus extra for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Originally seen on Everyday Italian. Episode: Viewer Requests.
- To make the meatballs: Stir the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl to blend. Stir in the cheese, beef and pork. Using 1 1/2 teaspoons for each, shape the meat mixture into 1-inch-diameter meatballs. Place on a baking sheet.
- To make the soup: Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and curly endive and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the curly endive is tender, about 8 minutes. Whisk the eggs and cheese in a medium bowl to blend. Stir the soup in a circular motion. Gradually drizzle the egg mixture into the moving broth, stirring gently with a fork to form thin stands of egg, about 1 minute. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve. Finish soup with parmesan cheese if desired.