Photo Credit: Food Network
My Italian spin on Hamburger Helper has all the same nostalgic flavors you grew up on but with all fresh ingredients and mascarpone cheese!
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 8 ounces ground beef sirloin
- 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage casings removed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 shallots diced
- 1 clove garlic peeled and smashed
- 1 1/2 cups tomato puree such as Mutti
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup mascarpone
- 2 cups baby spinach torn
- This recipe originally appeared on Giada Entertains. Episode: 70's Throwback Party.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the macaroni and cook for 2 minutes less than the package directions, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat the olive oil in a large straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground sirloin and sausage and cook, breaking up the meats with the back of a wooden spoon, until cooked through and browned, 6 minutes. Stir in the shallots and garlic; cook 2 minutes. Deglaze with the tomato puree, add 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for another 4 minutes.
- Add the macaroni to the sauce, sprinkle the bare pasta with the Parmesan and mix well. Stir in the mascarpone and spinach and cook an additional 3 minutes, until the sauce is creamy and the spinach wilted.