Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
You’d never guess these delicious carrot and zucchini mini-muffins are gluten free. Serve them for breakfast or top them with frosting for a healthy dessert!
Gluten Free Carrot Zucchini Mini Muffins
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1/2 cup grated carrots from 1 medium peeled carrot
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini from 1 medium unpeeled zucchini
- 1/2 cup raisins
For the Frosting (optional):
- 1 cup whipped cream cheese at room temperature (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- This recipe originally appeared on Giada At Home. Episode: Treasure Hunt.
- For the muffins, place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 mini-muffin cups with (1 1/2-inch) paper liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sieve together the flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add any solids leftover in the sieve to the bowl and mix in.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the oil, syrup, and egg. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Mix in the grated carrot, grated zucchini, and raisins.
- Using 2 small spoons, fill the prepared muffin cups 3/4 full with the batter and bake until light golden, about 15 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. Transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- For the frosting, in a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese and honey until smooth.
- To serve, spread the cooled muffins with frosting, if using, and serve.