Strawberry Basil Soda
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed basil with stems (torn)
- 2 cups frozen strawberries (thawed)
- ½ cup basil simple syrup
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 liters club soda
- Basil for garnish (optional)
For the Basil Simple Syrup:
For the Soda:
- To make the simple syrup: Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the sugar is dissolved. Add the basil and reduce the heat to low. Steep the basil in the syrup until the basil begins to turn brown, about 5 minutes. Strain the syrup and discard the basil. Makes 1 ½ cups.
- To make the soda: Place the thawed strawberries and their juice into the pitcher of a blender. Add the simple syrup and lemon juice and puree on high for 1 minute.
- For each serving, pour ¼ cup strawberry puree in a glass over ice, and add 1 cup of club soda and stir until combined. Garnish with a sprig of basil if desired.