Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
One thing I love to do with Jade is take boxed brownie mix, and turn it into something extra tasty – like in my espresso peanut butter brownies! Boxed brownie mix is a perfect vehicle to get creative and mix in some of your favorite goodies. We opted for an almond butter swirl for this batch of brownies when we shot Giada At Home – it’s super fun to do, it turned out really pretty, and tasted great! A little flaky sea salt on top made it feel extra sophisticated and gourmet.
You could use any of your favorite nut butters for this recipe!
Almond Butter Brownies
For the brownies:
- 1 18.3ounce box brownie mix, such as Duncan Hines
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted and cooled slightly
- 1/4 cup water
For the topping:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted and cooled slightly
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup natural crunchy almond butter
- 1/2 teaspoon flake salt
- Preheat the oven to 350degrees F. Grease an 9x13 inch glass baking pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the contents of the brownie mix with the eggs, oil and water. Stir together using a rubber spatula until fully incorporated. Spread in the prepared pan. In a separate bowl combine the coconut oil, powdered sugar and almond butter. Spoon this mixture sporadically over the top of the brownie mix. Using a toothpick, swirl the two together. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the edges are set and a toothpick inserted an inch from the edge of the pan comes out clean. Immediately sprinkle with the flake salt. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into squares and serving.