You must be signed in to print this content
White Velvet Soup
Giada De Laurentiis
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (plus for drizzling)
- 4 parsnips (peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces (about 1 pound))
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 2 bulbs fennel (trimmed and chopped into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 onion (chopped)
2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- Crispy cooked bacon (chopped, for garnish)
- Grated Parmesan (for garnish)
- Pomegranate Gremolata (for garnish, recipe follows)
- Pomegranate Gremolata:
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- As seen on: Giada's Holiday Handbook, Episode 1. 'Tis The Season.
- Heat the olive oil in a 3 1/2-quart Dutch oven medium-high heat. Add the parsnips, celery, fennel, onion, salt and fennel seeds. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Add 4 cups water and the bay leaf to the pan, and stir. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cover with a lid. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are very soft. Allow to cool slightly.
- Puree the soup in two batches, adding half of the almond milk to each batch. Return the soup to the Dutch oven, and heat to warm through--alternatively, pour the soup into a slow cooker and keep warm on the low setting.
- Serve garnished with bacon, Parmesan and pomegranate gremolata.
- Pomegranate Gremolata: In a bowl, mix together the parsley, pomegranate seeds, lemon zest and salt.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 28 grams
- 3 grams
- 6 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 1 grams
- 961 milligrams
- 9 grams
- 7 grams
- Unsaturated Fat
- 5 grams