Vegan Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Giada De Laurentiis
2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (divided)
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and diced in to 1 inch pieces)
- 1 large cauliflower (cut into 1 inch florets)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil (optional*)
2 teaspoons virgin coconut oil (warmed slightly or olive oil)
- 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the soup:
For the garnish:
- Heat a 4 quart dutch oven over medium heat. Add the oil to the pan and swirl to coat the bottom. Add the shallot to the pan and cook, stirring often for 1 minute. Season with 1 teaspoon salt. Add the sweet potatoes and cook for another minute, stirring often. Add the cauliflower, bay leaf, vegetable broth and 3 cups of water. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low to maintain a gentle simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a small rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, toss together the oil, pumpkin seeds, paprika and salt. Scatter evenly on the prepared pan and bake for 8 minutes stirring half way through. Remove from the oven and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- When all the vegetables are tender, remove the bay leaf and discard. Remove the soup from the heat. Using a stick blender, puree on high for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Add the coconut oil and remaining salt and puree again until incorporated. Serve with the spiced pepitas on top.