Main Course Soup
Giada De Laurentiis
2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 carrots (peeled, chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 3 ounces thinly sliced pancetta (coarsely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 pound Swiss chard (stems trimmed, leaves coarsely chopped)
- 1 russet potato (peeled, cubed)
1 14-ounce can tomatoes (diced with scissors)
1 fresh rosemary sprig
1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 14-ounce cans low-sodium beef broth
- 1 ounce piece Parmesan cheese rind
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, pancetta, and garlic. Saute until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the Swiss chard and potato, saute for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and rosemary sprig. Simmer until the chard is wilted and the tomatoes break down, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend 3/4 cup of the beans with 1/4 cup of the broth in a processor until almost smooth. Add the pureed bean mixture, remaining broth, and Parmesan cheese rind to the vegetable mixture. Simmer until the potato pieces are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Stir in the whole beans and parsley. Simmer until the beans are heated through and the soup is thick, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Discard Parmesan rind and rosemary sprig (the leaves will have fallen off of the stem.)
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 31 grams
- 12 grams
- 11 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 3 grams
- 9 milligrams
- 863 milligrams
- 7 grams
- 5 grams
4 reviews & comments
Made this soup and it is absolutely stellar! Satisfying and only 3 points in weight watchers! Another winner, Giada!
Delicious!!! I love the combination of flavors in this soup!! The rosemary and pancetta are outstanding. I used twice as much broth because I prefer my soups to be a bit thinner. I also used pasta rather than beans because my husband is not a bean fan. I used chicken broth because I had it on hand. Turned out fantastic – my husband had three servings and loved it!! 5 stars!!
Thank you Giadzy! üòç This is now the main meal for tomorrow ! I just ‚ù§Ô∏è Giadzyüòä
This was a delicious soup. I just substituted beef broth for vegetable broth. Delicious! Worth trying on a cold day!