Summery Strawberry Cake
Giada De Laurentiis
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup melted butter (cooled slightly)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound strawberries (hulled, half sliced and half halved)
- Honey whipped cream (for serving (see Cook's Note))
- This recipe originally appeared on Giada on the Beach. Episode: Farmers Market Lunch.
- Special equipment: a 9-inch springform pan
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray, line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Combine the eggs and 1 cup of the sugar in a medium bowl and beat on high speed with a handheld mixer until thick, pale and doubled in size, about 4 minutes. Add the yogurt, melted butter and vanilla, beat for another minute. Add the flour, baking powder and salt, mix until just combined, 30 seconds. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly to the edges. Sprinkle the sliced berries on top. Pour the remaining batter over the berries, spread evenly once again. Top decoratively with the strawberry halves and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with honey whipped cream.