Spicy Sesame Green Beans and Kale
Giada De Laurentiis
3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot (sliced)
- 10 shiitake mushrooms (stemmed and quartered)
- 2 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger (about a 1-inch piece)
- 1½ pounds green beans (trimmed and sliced into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup white wine
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch kale (½ pound, rinsed, stemmed, and roughly chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Warm the olive oil in a large, heavy sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté another 3 minutes, or until they begin to soften and brown. Add the garlic, ginger, green beans, and salt, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine, and continue cooking until the green beans are almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and kale, and continue cooking until the kale has wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the lemon juice and the sesame oil. Toss to coat and serve immediately.