Giada De Laurentiis
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (from 1 large lemon)
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (from ½ large orange)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ stick (2 ounces unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces, at room temperature)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon white wine (such as pinot grigio)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Canola oil (for frying)
- 1 cup honey
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1½ cups hazelnuts (toasted (see Cook's Note))
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- Sugar sprinkles or dragees (for decoration)
- Powdered sugar (for dusting, optional)
- For the dough: In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together the flour, lemon zest, orange zest, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add the eggs, wine, and vanilla. Pulse until the mixture forms into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 4 equal-sized pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece of dough until ¼ inch thick. Cut each piece of dough into ½-inch-wide strips. Cut each strip of pastry into ½-inch pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a small ball about the size of a hazelnut. Lightly dredge the dough balls in flour, shaking off any excess.
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, pour enough oil to fill the pan about a third of the way. Heat over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 375°F. (If you don't have a thermometer, a cube of bread will brown in about 3 minutes at the desired temperature.). In batches, fry the dough until lightly golden, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer the dough balls to a paper towel¬ñlined plate to drain. (The rested and quartered dough can also be rolled on a floured work surface into ½-inch-thick logs and cut into equal-sized ½-inch pieces. The dough pieces can then be rolled into small balls and fried as above.)
- To assemble: In a large saucepan, combine the honey, sugar, and lemon juice over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the fried dough and hazelnuts and stir until coated in the honey mixture. Allow the mixture to cool in the pan for 2 minutes.
- Spray the outside of a small, straight-sided water glass with vegetable oil cooking spray and place in the center of a round platter. Using a large spoon or damp hands, arrange the struffoli and hazelnuts around the glass to form a wreath shape. Drizzle any remaining honey mixture over the struffoli. Allow to set for 2 hours (can be made 1 day in advance).
- Decorate with sprinkles and dust with powdered sugar, if using. Remove the glass from the center of the platter and serve.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
- 72 grams
- 8 grams
- 17 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 2 grams
- 56 milligrams
- 149 milligrams
- 3 grams
- 46 grams