Herb Crusted Chicken and Spring Vegetables
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 boneless (skin-on chicken breasts)
- 3 bone-in (skin-on thighs)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cipollini onions (trimmed and peeled)
- 8 ounces baby carrots (peeled and trimmed, but leaving on a bit of green tip)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 6 ounces snap peas (trimmed)
- 4 ounces morel mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl combine the thyme, parsley, garlic, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Place the chicken pieces on a work surface. Gently loosen the skin of the chicken and push the herb mixture under the skin. Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper.
- Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the pan, skin side down, when the oil is hot. Cook until the skin is crispy and golden, about 5 minutes. Turn the chicken and cook the same way on the other side. Turn the heat off the pan and reserve. Transfer the chicken to a baking dish, skin side up again, and finish cooking in the oven, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile return the same pan to medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter. When the butter has melted add the cipollini onions and carrots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until tender and golden in places, about 7 minutes. Add the chicken broth and scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add the snap peas
- and mushrooms. Simmer over low heat until the vegetables are tender and the liquid has reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Remove the chicken from the oven. Spoon the vegetables onto a serving platter along with the chicken. Spoon the sauce over the chicken. Serve immediately.