Giada De Laurentiis
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (plus 1 teaspoon for the pan)
- 4 leeks (trimmed, halved lengthwise, washed and cut into ¬æ-inch pieces)
- 1 5ounce container baby spinach, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch of asparagus (trimmed and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 7 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup grated pecorino cheese (plus 1/2 cup for the top)
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk at room temperature
- 1 1 pound loaf semolina bread or other white bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- In a large skillet, melt the 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring often until soft and beginning to brown slightly, about 8 minutes. Add the chopped spinach and cook an additional 2 minutes until the spinach is wilted. Transfer the mixture to a colander and drain any excess liquid. Add the salt, chili flakes and asparagus and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish with the remaining teaspoon of butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs to break up the yolks. Add the 3/4 cup of cheese, the milk and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and whisk until smooth. Add the bread and vegetable mixture and stir with a rubber spatula to coat well. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake, covered for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the baking dish and continue to bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the custard is set, the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the dish comes out clean. Let the strata stand for 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving warm.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 27 grams
- 13 grams
- 10 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 5 grams
- 127 milligrams
- 439 milligrams
- 3 grams
- 7 grams