Giada's Wild Rice Stuffing in Squash Boats
Main Course Side Dish
Giada De Laurentiis
- 6 delicata squash (halved lengthwise, insides scooped out and reserved)
- 1/3 cup olive oil (divided)
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt (divided)
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (homemade or store-bought)
- 5 sprigs thyme (plus 1 tablespoon chopped)
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 cup organic brown rice
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus 2 tablespoons)
- 4 Portobello mushroom caps (dark gills scraped away and discarded, mushrooms coarsely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (divided)
- 1 14-ounce bag frozen pearl onions, thawed and dried well
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts (sliced thin)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (from half a lemon)
For the squash:
For the filling:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drizzle a rimmed a baking sheet with 3 tablespoons olive oil. Place the squash on the tray and roll it around in the oil. Season with squash with 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and roast, cut side down for 30 minutes or until just tender and beginning to brown. Meanwhile, separate the seeds from the flesh of the squash until you have 1/2 cup of seeds. Rinse and drain well. Place on a small baking sheet and toss with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon paprika. Roast for the last 10 minutes with the squash or until toasted. Drain the seeds on a paper towel lined plate.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the broth and the thyme and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the wild rice and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the brown rice and 1/4 cup olive oil and bring to boil. Return the heat to medium low, cover and simmer until all the rice is tender (but still slightly chewy), about 30 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the mushrooms. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook stirring often for about 10 minutes or until the water has evaporated the mushrooms are brown. Add the pearl onions and sauté until golden,
- another 7 to 8 minutes. Stir the Brussels sprouts into the skillet with the mushrooms and sauté until tender but still bright green, about 5 minutes. Season with the remaining salt and paprika. Pour the vegetable mixture into a large bowl. Add the rice mixture with any remaining liquid and the chopped thyme and toss gently to blend.
- Spoon the rice stuffing into the roasted squash halves, dividing evenly. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes, just to heat through. Squeeze the lemon juice over the hot stuffing and sprinkle with the toasted seeds. Serve hot.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 50 grams
- 8 grams
- 12 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 2 grams
- 557 milligrams
- 8 grams
- 9 grams