Black and White Brownie Ice Cream Cake
Giada De Laurentiis
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 18.2ounce box dark chocolate fudge brownie mix, such as Duncan Hines
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1/3 cup hazelnut liquor
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1 pint chocolate chocolate chip ice cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (optional)
- 14 mini candy canes (optional)
- As seen on: Giada's Holiday Handbook, Season 2, Episode 5. Christmas at Giada's.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a rimmed 12 by 8 1/2 inch baking tray with parchment paper. Spray the paper with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a rubber spatula to stir together the brownie mix, eggs, liquor, vegetable oil and almond extract. Spread the mixture evenly over the prepared baking pan. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the brownie is just set. Allow the brownie to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Line a 5 by 9 inch loaf pan with a piece of parchment paper across the short way, so there is about 2 inches of over hang on either side. Remove the pints of ice cream from the freezer to soften just slightly.
- Place the brownie sheet on a cutting board and cut into 3 equal rectangles. Place one brownie on the bottom of the pan. Scoop the softened vanilla ice cream on top of the brownie and spread it evenly with an offset spatula. Place another brownie rectangle on top of the ice cream and press down gently. Scoop the softened chocolate ice cream on top of that brownie and repeat spreading the ice cream evenly with and offset spatula. Top with the last rectangle. Press firmly and wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 5 hours or preferably over night.
- To unmold, run a thin knife along the two shot sides of the pan to loosen. Turn the cake upside down onto a chilled plate. Peel off the parchment and dust with the powdered sugar. Line the sides with mini candy canes. Return the cake to the freezer to set for 10 minutes if needed. Slice the cake and serve.