Vegan Apple Crisp
Giada De Laurentiis
- 4 large Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored, and sliced ¼ inch thick)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil (chilled)
- 1 pint vegan vanilla ice cream (to serve)
For The Filling:
For The Crumble:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Brush the inside of a 7 inch baking dish with coconut oil, or 4 individual ramekins or terra-cotta yogurt containers, and set aside. In a medium bowl, mix together the apples, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and lemon juice. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- In the same bowl, add the oats, flour, brown sugar, salt, and coconut oil. Using your fingers, work the oil into the dry ingredients until there is no dry flour left in the bowl. Using your hands, break apart pieces of the crumble topping and scatter evenly over the top of the apple mixture.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top is golden and crunchy and the filling is bubbling. Allow the crisp to cool slightly before serving with vanilla ice cream.