Spiced Apple-Walnut Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
Giada De Laurentiis
- Butter (for greasing the pan)
- Flour (for dusting)
- 3 medium green apples (such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and diced into ¼ to ½-inch pieces)
- 1½ cups maple syrup
- 3 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For The Cake:
For The Icing:
- For the cake: Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Liberally butter and flour a 10-inch fluted tube or Bundt pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the apples, maple syrup, eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. In batches, mix the dry ingredients into the apple mixture. Stir in the walnuts.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes until a cake tester or skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes and invert onto a wire rack to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- For the icing: In a food processor, combine the confectioners' sugar, heavy cream, cream cheese, 3 tablespoons water, and vanilla. Process until smooth, adding more water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the icing is pourable. Spoon the icing over the cake and allow to set for 20 minutes before slicing.