Slow Cooker Quinoa Minestrone
The Giadzy Kitchen
- 1/2 large onion (diced)
- 2 carrots (peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 celery stalk (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 4-inch piece of Parmigiano-Reggiano rind
- 1 14-oz jar or can cherry tomatoes, crushed lightly by hand
- 1 15-oz can small white beans, such as cannellini, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup quinoa (rinsed and drained well)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for finishing)
- To the ceramic bowl of a 4-quart slow cooker, add onion, carrots, celery, salt, broth, bayleaf, Parmigiano rind, tomatoes, beans, and 2 cups of water. Stir to combine.
- Set the slow cooker to the high setting, and cook for 4 hours. Add the quinoa to the slow cooker, and reset the slow cooker on high for an additional 30 minutes.
- Turn the heat off. Discard the bay leaf and Parmigiano rind, and mix in basil and lemon juice. Ladle into bowls, and serve with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and a drizzle of olive oil.