You must be signed in to print this content
Simple Standing Rib Roast
Giada De Laurentiis
- One 5-bone standing rib roast (about 11 pounds, frenched)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon crushed pink peppercorns
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes (halved or quartered)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Leaves of 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- Blistered Baby Pepper Salad (recipe follows, optional)
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (smashed)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest plus 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (plus more to finish)
- One 1-pound bag baby bell peppers (halved lengthwise and stems removed)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves (chopped)
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives (halved)
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives (halved)
- 1 tablespoon capers (drained and dried)
For The Roast:
For The Salmoriglio:
For The Blistered Baby Pepper Salad:
- This recipe originally appeared on Giada's Holiday Handbook. Episode: Family Christmas Dinner.
- For the roast: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Season the roast evenly with 1 1/2 tablespoons salt and both peppers, rubbing it into the roast. Place the roast bone-side down in a rack in a roasting pan. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 350 degrees F. Toss the potatoes with the olive oil, rosemary and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in a small bowl. Scatter the potatoes around the roast and continue to cook until a deep brown crust has formed around the outside of the roast and the internal temperature reads 120 degrees F, an additional 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Allow the meat to rest for 20 minutes before slicing.
- For the Salmoriglio: Warm a small skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and garlic and cook slowly until the garlic is golden brown and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Allow to cool. Whisk together the lemon zest and juice, rosemary, thyme and salt in a medium bowl. Drizzle in the olive oil and garlic and allow to sit at room temp for 10 minutes. Serve alongside the rib roast.
- If using with the Blistered Baby Pepper Salad, pour the salad over the roasted potatoes, toss with additional olive oil and serve with the roast.
- For the salad, heat a large skillet over high heat and add the oil, peppers and salt. Cook, stirring and tossing often, until the peppers begin to brown and soften, about 10 minutes. Pour the peppers into a large bowl and toss with the parsley, olives and capers.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 13 grams
- 39 grams
- 90 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 30 grams
- 161 milligrams
- 833 milligrams
- 3 grams
- 2 grams