Panettone Dessert Bowl
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 1.1 pound panettone loaf
- 6 tablespoons 3/4 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup raspberries or sliced strawberries
- 2 small naval oranges or blood oranges (peeled and cut into circles)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Cut off the top 1/3 of the panettone. Remove the insides of the base bread by running a small pairing knife around the edge of the loaf leaving a 1 inch wall. Pull out the fluffy inside of the bread leaving the base intact. Tear the insides into 1 inch bite sized pieces. You should have about 2 cups of bread pieces. Place the pieces on a small rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with half of the butter. Toss well to coat. Place the shell on a separate rimmed baking sheet and drizzle the remaining butter over the sides and bottom of the loaf. Place both pans in the oven. Bake the bread pieces for 12 minutes, stirring half way through until golden brown and toasted. Remove the bread to a paper towel lined plate to cool. Continue to bake the shell for 8 minutes longer or until lightly toasted and golden brown. Remove to paper towels to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl combine the heavy cream, mascarpone, sugar and vanilla. Using a handheld mixer beat on high for about 2 minutes or until soft peaks form.
- Place the shell on a serving plate. Layer in half of the crispy cubes, half of the fruit and a dollop of 1/3 of the whipped cream. Repeat with the remaining bread and fruit and finish with a large dollop of cream in the center. Serve with additional cream on the side for serving.