Rotini à la Carbonara
Giada De Laurentiis
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound bacon (diced into one inch cubes)
- 1 bunch of asparagus (trimmed and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (at room temperature Sea salt)
- 1 1/4 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese 1 pound dried rotini
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saute pan, gently heat the olive oil. Add the bacon and saute, stirring often, until golden brown and crispy, about 5 minutes. Add the asparagus and peas and cook for 2 minutes longer. Season with black pepper and remove pan from heat.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and cream until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- In a large pot, bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the pasta in a colander. Do not rinse with water, you want to retain the pasta's natural starches so that the sauce will stick.
- While the pasta is still hot, return it to the pot. Add the bacon mixture and the cream mixture and toss to coat the pasta completely. It's important to work quickly while the pasta is still warm so that the cream mixture will cook but not curdle. Add the remaining 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and the chopped parsley.