Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese Tartines
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 small (1-pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced into 1/3-inch pieces)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 4 tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup basil leaves (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachios
- For the cheese mixture:
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1/4 cup mascarpone
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 slices hearty health bread (toasted and cut in half)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
For the squash:
For the candied pistachios:
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the squash with the oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Spread the squash pieces evenly on the tray and roast for 35 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the squash is cooked and beginning to brown.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Continue to cook the butter, stirring occasionally, until the solids become golden brown and the butter smells nutty, about 4 minutes. Watch it carefully, as it can go from golden brown to black very quickly. Turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- To a medium mixing bowl add the vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the brown butter to the vinegar, using a rubber spatula to get all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Whisk to combine. Stir in the basil and the cooked squash and set aside.
- Add the sugar and 2 tablespoons water to a small skillet. Place over medium heat undisturbed until the sugar is dissolved. Cook for an additional 6 to 7 minutes until it just barely begins to brown, swirling the pan on occasion to encourage even browning. Stir in the pistachios with a rubber spatula and pour onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl combine the goat cheese, mascarpone, and salt with a rubber spatula. Set aside or refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble, roughly chop the candied pistachios. Divide the cheese mixture on the toast halves. Top each half with a spoonful of the squash mixture, a sprinkle of the candied pistachios, and a few dried cranberries.