You must be signed in to print this content
Baked Mushroom Rigatoni with Kale Gremolata
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 pound rigatoni
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound assorted mushrooms (stemmed, sliced into 1/3-inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic (smashed and peeled)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups grated Parmesan
- 2 cups grated Gruyere
- 2 cups chopped Tuscan kale (3 to 4 leaves)
- 1 cup grated Gruyere
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup smoked almonds (chopped)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (2 lemons)
- This recipe originally appeared on Giada Entertains. Episode: Giada's Italian Easter Party.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- For the pasta: Cook the rigatoni in a large pot of generously salted boiling water until al dente, about 3 minutes less than the package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven. Sear the mushrooms, undisturbed, for 3 minutes, stir, and season with 1 teaspoon salt. Sear on the reverse side an additional 2 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the pan.
- Lower the heat to medium and melt the butter in the Dutch oven. Add the garlic and flour, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and simmer gently until the sauce just thickens, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the Parmesan, Gruyere and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let cool slightly, then add half of the seared mushrooms, and puree with an immersion blender.
- In a large bowl, toss the pasta with the sauce and the remaining half of the mushrooms, adding about 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water or more if desired. Transfer to a baking dish.
- For the gremolata: In a medium bowl, combine the kale, Gruyere, panko, smoked almonds, olive oil and lemon zest.
- Scatter the gremolata over the pasta and bake until golden on top and bubbling, about 40 minutes.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 60 grams
- 47 grams
- 51 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 23 grams
- 107 milligrams
- 962 milligrams
- 4 grams
- 8 grams