Amarena Cherry Tiramisu (Cherrymisu)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese, such as Belgioso
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup Amarena cherries, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon Amarena cherry syrup
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Amarena cherry syrup
- 2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 24 to 28 ladyfingers
1/2 cup Amarena cherries, halved, for topping
For The Mascarpone Cream:
For The Chocolate Layer:
For The Assembly:
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer or stand mixer, beat the egg yolks and sugar until very thick, fluffy and pale, roughly 5 minutes. Add mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth. Fold in the chopped amarena cherries, the tablespoon of syrup and salt until evenly combined, and set aside.
- To prepare the chocolate layer, place the chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan until it just starts to simmer on the edges. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Let it sit for a minute, then stir until smooth and glossy. If any lumps remain in the mixture, simply microwave the mixture in 15 second increments in a microwave-safe bowl until it is smooth. Set aside as you prepare the rest of the tiramisu. (Do not refrigerate the chocolate mixture, as it will harden too much to spread.)
- Set out a 9x9 or 8x8 inch baking dish. In a separate shallow bowl, add the Amarena cherry syrup and amaretto liqueur and mix until combined. Dip each ladyfinger into the mixture for only 10 seconds max. Place half of the soaked ladyfingers on the bottom of the baking dish in one single even layer, breaking them in half if necessary to fit the bottom.
- Spread half of the mascarpone mixture on top of the first layer of ladyfingers, smoothing it out to evenly cover. Pour the slightly cooled chocolate ganache mixture on top, spreading it out evenly to completely cover the mascarpone. Dip the second batch of ladyfingers in the cherry-amaretto mixture one by one, and evenly layer them on top of the chocolate ganache layer. If there is any remaining cherry syrup mixture, evenly drizzle it over the ladyfingers. Top the ladyfingers with the remaining mascarpone cream.
- Garnish the tiramisu with the halved amarena cherries, cut-side facing up.
- Cover tiramisu with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours; but we recommend allowing it to sit overnight to set completely. Slice and serve. You can make this up to 3 days in advance.