Slow Cooker Black Bean and Pork Stew
Giada De Laurentiis
- 4 ounces pancetta (diced)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder (trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 pork or chicken andouille sausage links (halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked white rice (optional)
- 1/4 cup queso blanco
- 2 plum tomatoes (diced)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Place the pancetta in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, and cook about 4 minutes until it begins to brown. Add the onions and garlic and cook for another minute until the onion begins to soften. Transfer the pancetta mixture to the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the pork with the salt and pepper, add to the skillet, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side, until the cubes are golden brown all over. Transfer the pork to the slow cooker, then add the sausage, black beans, and chicken broth, stirring to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 8 hours, until the pork and beans are tender. Gently break up the pork pieces with a wooden spoon or shred with 2 forks. Serve alone or over rice, garnished with queso blanco, tomato, and cilantro.