Roasted Beet and Arugula Salad with Goat Cheese and Avocado
Giada De Laurentiis
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 medium cooked beets (quartered)
- 6 cups fresh arugula
- ½ cup toasted walnuts (coarsely chopped)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries or dried cherries
- 3 ounces soft fresh goat cheese (coarsely crumbled)
- ½ avocado (peeled and sliced)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Whisk the vinegar, shallots, and honey in a medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in the oil. Season the vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper. Toss the beets in a small bowl with enough dressing to coat. Place the beets on the prepared baking sheet and roast until they are slightly caramelized, stirring occasionally, for about 12 minutes. Set aside and cool.
- Toss the arugula, walnuts, and cranberries in a large bowl with enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad to taste with salt and pepper. Mound the salad atop 4 plates. Arrange the beets around the salad. Sprinkle with the goat cheese, arrange a few slices of avocado on top, and serve.