Pine Nut Ice Cream with Banana Caramel Sauce
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 quart premium vanilla ice cream (such as)
- 3/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 ripe banana (diced)
- Empty the ice cream into a mixing bowl and allow it to sit at room
- temperature for about 8 minutes. When it's soft enough to stir with a
- wooden spoon or rubber spatula, sprinkle in the pine nuts and 1/4
- teaspoon of the salt. Working quickly, fold the pine nuts into the
- softened ice cream. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in
- the freezer to firm up.
- To make the sauce, combine the butter, brown sugar, bourbon, and
- remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer
- over medium heat, stirring often, until the sugar is completely melted
- and the mixture has a caramel-sauce consistency, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, stir in the banana pieces and cook for an
- additional 3 minutes to just soften them. Remove the pan from the
- heat and let the sauce sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes to
- cool slightly.
- To serve, place 2 scoops of the ice cream in each of the 4 bowls or sundae glasses. Drizzle the sauce over each and serve immediately.