Ham, Gruyère, and Apple Panini
Giada De Laurentiis
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 2 Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored, and sliced ¼ inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 8 ½-inch-thick slices country-style white bread
- ½ cup whole-grain mustard
- 2 cups 8 ounces shredded Gruyère cheese
- 8 1-ounce slices Black Forest ham
- In a 12-inch skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the apple slices and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are slightly soft, about 4 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. Preheat a panini press (see Cook's Note).
- Spread each bread slice with 1 tablespoon mustard. Arrange ¼ cup of cheese on each of 4 of the bread slices and top each with 2 slices of ham. Divide the apple mixture evenly over the ham. Add the remaining cheese and place the remaining 4 bread slices, mustard side down, on top.
- Grill until the cheese has melted and the tops are golden and crispy, 5 to 6 minutes.