Candied Lemon and Arugula Salad
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 lemons (segments removed)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped pancetta
- 1/8 teaspoon (plus 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt)
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano shavings
- In a small sauce pan combine the sugar and water. Place over medium heat and bring to simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar. Add the lemon segments and simmer for another 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the lemons to cool in the liquid.
- In a small skillet cook the pancetta over medium heat until golden brown and crispy. Remove the pancetta to a paper towel lined plate. Reserve the rendered fat.
- Using a slotted spoon remove the segments from the liquid and reserve. In a medium bowl, whisk together the Dijon mustard and 2 tablespoons of the liquid from the lemons. Whisk in the olive oil, 1 tablespoon pancetta fat and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Toss the arugula and reserved lemon segments with half of the dressing. Reserve the remaining dressing for another use. Sprinkle the pancetta and cheese shavings on top and serve.