You must be signed in to print this content
Giada De Laurentiis
- 8 ounces unsalted high-fat butter (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg (at room temperature)
- Seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg (beaten, optional)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar or regular granulated sugar (optional)
- Using a hand mixer, beat the butter on medium speed for 1 minute until light and fluffy. Add both sugars and the salt and continue to beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until pale and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla seeds and mix on low to incorporate.
- Add the flour and beat on low speed until the flour is nearly incorporated, then switch to a rubber spatula to incorporate the rest. Do not overmix.
- Divide the dough into 2 portions. Place each portion in the center of an 18-inch-long piece of plastic wrap. Using a spatula, mold the mixture into a log about 7 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide. Roll up the logs in the plastic and twist the ends together. Refrigerate the logs for at least 3 hours or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the plastic wrap from one dough log and slice in ¼-inch rounds. Place the cookies 1 inch apart on the baking sheet. If desired, brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cookies are just beginning to brown around the edges. Cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough.