Brutti Ma Buoni (Ugly But Good) Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups hazelnuts, unpeeled
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread the hazelnuts on a straight sided baking sheet and roast them until fragrant, about 14 minutes.
Remove them from the oven and place the nuts on a clean kitchen towel. Rub the hazelnuts in the towel to remove the skins. If a few stay on, that is okay. Allow the hazelnuts to cool before coarsely chopping them. Line the tray with parchment paper and set aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Add the egg whites to a medium bowl. Using a handheld mixer, beat the egg whites on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the sugar, salt and vanilla and beat again until medium peaks form, another 4 minutes. Fold in the chopped hazelnuts.
- Divide the batter into 12 mounds on the prepared baking sheet, about 1/3 cup each. Bake until the outsides are dry and crispy, but the insides are set but still slightly soft, 35 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool on the tray for 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
- 24 grams
- 3 grams
- 10 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 1 grams
- 53 milligrams
- 2 grams
- 22 grams