Steak Mac and Cheese Cupcakes
Giada De Laurentiis
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ‚ÅÑ4 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1 cup heavy cream (at room temperature)
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 ‚ÅÑ2 teaspoon fennel pollen or ground fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 ‚ÅÑ2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ‚ÅÑ2 pound elbow macaroni (cooked)
- 1 cup diced (cooked flank steak)
- 12 grape tomatoes (halved)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Butter and breadcrumb a 12-cup standard-size muffin pan. In a large bowl whisk together the heavy cream, eggs, thyme, fennel pollen, mustard, and salt until smooth and combined. Stir in the cheeses with a rubber spatula.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain the pasta well and add to the cream mixture. Quickly begin to fold in the pasta and flank steak so as not to cook the eggs. Divide the mixture among the prepared muffin pan, and top each with 2 halves of grape tomatoes.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until slightly puffed up, set in the middle, and beginning to brown. Allow the cupcakes to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing with an offset spatula.