Ricotta Gelato Toast
Ricotta Gelato Toast
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup sugar
- Kosher salt
- 3 large eggs plus 4 yolks
- 1 1/2 cups whole-milk ricotta
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Six 2-inch slices brioche
- 2 oranges (segmented, for serving)
- Thyme honey (for serving)
- Extra-virgin olive oil (for serving)
- This recipe originated in Giada In Italy. Episode: Sweet Capri.
- Heat the half-and-half, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and the half-and-half is about to simmer. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl until light, fluffy and pale. Slowly add 1/2 cup of the half-and-half mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly to prevent scrambling the eggs. Whisk in another 1/2 cup. Return the entire mixture to the pan and continue to cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a flat-bottom spoon, until the mixture thickens slightly, coating the back of the spoon, about 6 minutes. Pour the mixture into the pitcher of a blender. Add the ricotta and lemon zest. Puree on medium until smooth, about 30 seconds. Cool the mixture in the refrigerator until completely chilled, about 1 hour.
- Freeze the base in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions. When frozen to a soft texture, add the chocolate chips and shut off the machine. Pour into an airtight container and freeze. Temper the gelato for 8 minutes before scooping.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk together the milk, whole eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Working one at a time, dredge 3 of the brioche slices in the batter and place directly in the skillet. Cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate. Continue with the remaining bread, adding the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet.
- To serve, plate a piece of toast on each plate. Top with a large scoop of gelato, sprinkle with the orange segments and drizzle with the honey and olive oil, if using.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 32 grams
- 8 grams
- 13 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 7 grams
- 75 milligrams
- 312 milligrams
- 1 grams
- 21 grams
Could the gelato be made without eggs? Perhaps with coconut milk? I am hyper-sensitive to eggs!