You must be signed in to print this content
Italian Sausage and Egg Bake
Giada De Laurentiis
- ½ small loaf country-style bread (cut into ½ to 1-inch cubes (about 1½ cups))
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion (finely diced)
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage (casings removed)
- One 10 to12-ounce package fresh baby spinach (drained)
- One 6.5-ounce jar oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (drained and coarsely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (plus extra for seasoning)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (plus extra for seasoning)
- One 5-ounce log goat cheese (coarsely crumbled (about 1½ cups))
- 6 large eggs
- As seen on: Giada At Home. Rise and Shine.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the bread cubes with 1 tablespoon oil and spread evenly in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the cubes begin to turn light golden around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes (do not over-brown as the bread cubes will continue to brown when baked atop the sausage in the dish). Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sausage. Break up the sausage with a wooden spoon and cook until the sausage has cooked through and the onion is soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring frequently, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and basil.
- Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Spread the mixture evenly into a 13-by-9-by-2-inch glass baking dish or ceramic baking dish. Sprinkle the goat cheese on the mixture and arrange the bread cubes on top. Make 6 slight indentations in the mixture, spacing apart. Cover and chill. This can be prepared 2 hours ahead.
- Crack 1 egg into each indentation, making sure to keep the yolks intact. Sprinkle the eggs lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake until the egg whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 15 minutes (or 18 minutes for a fully cooked yolk).
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 38 grams
- 43 grams
- 28 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 8 grams
- 254 milligrams
- 1355 milligrams
- 14 grams
- 4 grams