Green Pea, Lettuce, and Fennel Soup
Giada De Laurentiis
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium fennel bulb (chopped (about 2 cups), fronds reserved for garnish)
- 2 large shallots
- 1 medium head Bibb lettuce (cut into ½-inch strips (4 cups lightly packed))
- 1 10-ounce package frozen petite peas
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¬æ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Melt the butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the fennel and shallots. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the lettuce to the pan and stir until it wilts, 1 to 2 minutes. Mix in the peas, broth, and 1 cup water and bring the soup to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer until the vegetables are just tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- In a blender, puree the soup in batches until smooth, adding some fennel seeds to each batch. Combine the batches in a large bowl and return all of the soup to the same pot. Add the salt and pepper.
- Reheat the soup over low heat, thinning with a little water if it is too thick.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish each bowl with some fennel fronds and serve.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 24 grams
- 8 grams
- 10 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 6 grams
- 23 milligrams
- 305 milligrams
- 7 grams
- 10 grams