You must be signed in to print this content
Appetizer Side Dish
The Giadzy Kitchen
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water divided
1 teaspoon honey or sugar
4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup butter, (melted and cooled slightly)
- 3 tablespoons butter, (melted and cooled slightly)
- ½ cup about 4 ounces salami, shredded or chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup about 2 ounces provolone cheese, chopped into small pieces
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, (beaten, for egg wash)
For The Dough:
For The Assembly:
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast, 1/2 cup warm water and the honey or sugar. Stir to combine. Set aside allow the yeast to activate for 5 minutes. The mixture should be creamy and bubbly.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Form a well in the middle of the flour and add the yeast mixture along with 1/4 cup melted butter. Using your hand like a claw, slowly begin mixing the flour into the liquid, adding more water as needed, until a soft, shaggy dough is formed. It may not take all of the water. Pour the mixture out onto a clean lightly floured surface and begin kneading the dough for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. All the dough to rest and rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a large oven-safe skillet or 13x9-inch baking dish by rubbing with half a tablespoon butter or olive oil.
- Punch down the dough. Lightly flour a clean surface and place the dough on the board. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to an approximate 20 by 14-inch rectangle, with the longest side facing you. Brush the dough with the 3 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle the surface evenly with the salami, provolone and parmesan cheese. Starting from the long edge furthest from you, roll the dough towards you, into a firm log.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the log into 16 even slices. Place them into your prepared baking dish. With either a pastry brush or your fingers, lightly dab the beaten egg on the exposed dough for the egg wash.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown on the edges. Serve warm.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 25 grams
- 8 grams
- 10 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 5 grams
- Trans Fat
- 1 grams
- 36 milligrams
- 458 milligrams
- 1 grams
- 1 grams
- Unsaturated Fat
- 4 grams