You must be signed in to print this content
Apple Parmesan Pie
Giada De Laurentiis
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter (cubed and chilled)
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 2 pounds apples (such as granny smith, peeled cored and cut into 1/3 inch wedges)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
For the dough:
For the filling:
- Chill the bowl and blade of a food processor for 1 hour before starting.
- To the food processor add the flour and salt and pulse to combine. Add the cold butter and the cheese and pulse 3 or 4 times or until chick pea sized pieces of butter remain. With the machine running, drizzle in the ice water until the dough just starts to come together. Turn the dough out on to a piece of plastic wrap and form into a flat disk. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least an hour or up to 2 days.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Position an oven rack on the lower third of the oven.
- In a medium bowl combine the apples, sugar, lemon juice, flour, salt and cinnamon. Toss well to coat evenly. Divide the dough in half. Roll out one of the doughs to an approximate 11inch round and line the bottom of a 9inch pie plate. Fill the pie crust with the apple mixture. Roll out the remaining dough into another 11inch round and place on top. Trim the edges so there is 1/2 inch over hang around the plate. Tuck the overhang under itself and press down to seal the edge. Using 2 knuckles and your tip of a finger, crimp the edges to make a decorative edge. Cut an x in the center of the top pie crust and open the corners to make a small whole in the center of the pie. Brush the pie evenly with the egg and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes or until the crust is deep golden brown and the mixture inside is bubbling. Remove to a wire rack and cool for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 9 grams
- 2 grams
- 4 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 1 grams
- 13 milligrams
- 25 milligrams
- 3 grams