Double Chocolate Mint Cupcakes
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- One 16-ounce can white frosting
- 20 starlight mints or mini candy canes (broken into small pieces)
- Red sprinkles (optional)
- This recipe originated on Giada’s Holiday Handbook. Episode: Thankful For You.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center. Add the buttermilk, oil, 1 teaspoon peppermint extract and the eggs to the well and whisk together until there are just a few streaks remaining. Add the chocolate chips and fold them into the batter with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill each cupcake liner about halfway to two-thirds full with batter. Bake until set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few a crumbs, about 25 minutes. Allow to cool completely in the pan.
- Meanwhile, place the frosting in a medium bowl. Fold in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract, then add the broken candy and fold together using a rubber spatula. Place a dollop of frosting on top of each cupcake and use an offset spatula to spread. Dust the tops with red sprinkles, if using.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 66 grams
- 3 grams
- 20 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 11 grams
- 29 milligrams
- 252 milligrams
- 2 grams
- 53 grams