Carbonara Cacio e Pepe
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 pound creste del gallo pasta (or other curved pasta shape)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 pound pancetta (diced)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated pecorino cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
- 2 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- As seen on: Giada In Italy, Episode 5. What Would Nonno Dino Make?
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook the pasta for 8 minutes or just 2 minutes under the suggested cooking time. Drain well, reserving 1 1/2 cups of pasta water.
- Meanwhile, heat a large straight sided skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and pancetta.Cook stirring often with a wooden spoon until the pancetta is crisp, about 10 minutes. Add the pepper and toast, stirring often, until fragrant. Add 1/2 cup of pasta water to the pan and scrape up all the bits that are sticking to the bottom. Add the pasta and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Add another 1/2 cup pasta water and stir to coat all of the pasta in thecheese. Add the pecorino and the butter and stir to combine, creating a light creamy cheesesauce. Add the peas and cook until warmed through. Add additional pasta as needed tomaintain the light sauce consistency. Serve with more grated cheese if desired.