Barolo Braised Short Ribs
Giada De Laurentiis
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 pounds bone-in beef short ribs ( cut into 4-inch pieces)
- 21/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 celery stalk (finely chopped)
- 2 carrots (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 ‚ÅÑ4 cup tomato paste
- 750 ml bottle of Barolo or Nebbiolo wine
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 3-inch piece of Parmigiano Reggiano Rind
- 1 fennel bulb (stalks removed, shaved thin on a mandoline)
- 1 cup baby arugula (roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 ‚ÅÑ 4 teaspoon kosher salt
For The Short Ribs:
For The Salad:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Using butcher's twine, tie the herb sprigs and bay leaf together in a bundle and set it aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Dry the short ribs well with paper towels and season them evenly with 2 teaspoons of the salt. Dredge each rib in the flour, shaking off the excess, and place them in the hot pan. Sear the meat until evenly browned on all sides, about 12 minutes total. Remove the meat to a plate.
- To the same pan, add the onion, celery, and carrots. Season with the remaining 1‚ÅÑ2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often and scraping the bottom of the pan, for 4 minutes, or until the vegetables are starting to soften and brown slightly. Add the tomato paste and stir for an additional 3 minutes to caramelize, it will turn a deep red color. Add the wine and bring it to a simmer, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the wine is slightly reduced. Add the broth, herb bundle, and cheese rind, and return to a simmer. Nestle the meat in the pan, adding any juices that accumulated on the plate. Cover the pot and place it in the oven for approximately 21‚ÅÑ2 hours, or until the meat is forktender. Remove the ribs to a plate. Skim the fat off the surface and discard it, along with the herb bundle and cheese rind. Return the meat to the sauce and spoon some sauce over the ribs to coat them.
- In a medium bowl toss together the shaved fennel, arugula, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt.
- Serve each short rib with a spoonful of sauce and top with some of the fennel salad.