Baked Macaroni and Cheese Cupcakes
Giada De Laurentiis
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 cups dried breadcrumbs
- 8 ounces small pasta such as pennette (shells, or elbows)
- 8 ounces ground turkey or chicken (preferably dark meat)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (plus extra for drizzling)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (plus extra for seasoning)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (plus extra for seasoning)
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- 2 cups chopped broccoli (blanched, see Cook's Note)
- 1 pound asparagus (cut into 3/4-inch pieces, blanched)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 2 12-cup muffin or cupcake pans with vegetable cooking spray. Using 1 cup of breadcrumbs, coat the inside of each muffin cup with breadcrumbs, shaking off any excess.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey, or chicken, if using, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until cooked through. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and place in a large bowl. Add the cooked turkey and the cheeses. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the prepared pasta mixture into the cupcake molds, filling evenly to about 2/3 full. Place a few pieces of tomato, broccoli and asparagus in each cup. Top with a thin layer of the remaining breadcrumbs and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool for a few minutes and carefully unmold with a spoon.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 23 grams
- 17 grams
- 12 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 6 grams
- 35 milligrams
- 448 milligrams
- 2 grams
- 2 grams