Photo Credit: Food Network
These decadent, moist chocolate mint cupcakes are perfect for the holidays! With peppermint extract in the cupcakes, and frosting studded with candy cane pieces, every bite tastes so festive and delicious.
Double Chocolate Mint Cupcakes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- One 16-ounce can white frosting
- 20 starlight mints or mini candy canes broken into small pieces
- Red sprinkles optional
- This recipe originated on Giada’s Holiday Handbook. Episode: Thankful For You.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center. Add the buttermilk, oil, 1 teaspoon peppermint extract and the eggs to the well and whisk together until there are just a few streaks remaining. Add the chocolate chips and fold them into the batter with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill each cupcake liner about halfway to two-thirds full with batter. Bake until set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few a crumbs, about 25 minutes. Allow to cool completely in the pan.
- Meanwhile, place the frosting in a medium bowl. Fold in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract, then add the broken candy and fold together using a rubber spatula. Place a dollop of frosting on top of each cupcake and use an offset spatula to spread. Dust the tops with red sprinkles, if using.